The institutes and universities involved in REMEP are:
- the Max Planck Institute for Social Anthropology (Halle),
- the Martin Luther University of Halle-Wittenberg,
- the Max Planck Institute for Foreign and International Criminal Law (Freiburg),
- the University of Freiburg,
- the Max Planck Institute for European Legal History (Frankfurt) and
- the Max Planck Institute for Comparative Public Law and International Law (until 2012).
Each of the member institutions regularly opens positions for new doctoral students, organizes courses and hosts conferences.